Five minutes of your time could save you thousands of dollars and a ton of headaches when it comes to water damage. I don’t know about you, but we certainly don’t want to deal with the mess of a water pipe bursting or a toilet overflowing at home causing damage to flooring or cabinets. Prevent this from occurring at your home or business! Today, Seibert Insurance talks water damage prevention tips you won’t want to miss…
Know Where Your Water Shut Off Valve is for the House
This an important question to know the answer to since water damage is the MOST common cause of loss under a home insurance policy in Florida. If you are home and a pipe bursts and water is flooding into your home, that is not the time to want to go and look for your water shutoff valve.
Know The Age of Your Water Heater
Did you know that 75% of all water heaters fail before they are 12 years old? Our Tampa insurance agents recommend you have your inspected by a plumber once it reaches that age and consider replacement to avoid a flooded home.
More Water Damage Prevention Tips…
- Replace rubber hoses on your toilets and washing machine to steel braided hoses. You can do this for less than a couple hundred dollars with most plumbing companies…which is way less than your deductible on your home policy which you would have to pay if you had a water loss claim.
- Never let your washing machine run while you are not home (same for the dryer to prevent fire)! If your machine overflow and you are not there to stop it, that could be disaster!
- When you leave town, do you want to come back to a moldy house with water on the floor?? We didn’t think so! Make sure to turn off the water to the house before you leave town.
- Inspect all water supply line hoses every 6 months.
- Pay attention to your water bill. A big jump could indicate a leak.
What Should You Do If You Have a Water Loss?
Call your home insurance carrier or Agent and ask for a referral to a vendor to help you clean it up. If you find a vendor on your own, be careful you do not sign your policy rights away to them via an “Assignment of Benefits” *this is the new scam that is sweeping through Florida.
Use these tips to prevent water damage at your home and just in case save our number in case of a loss. At Seibert Insurance we treat you like a person, not just a policy. Call us if you have questions about your Florida home insurance policy!